Murray Bridge woman dies after freeway Mercedes crash
SA Police have appealed for the public's help as they investigate two tragedies, including one on the Dukes Highway, plus a close call on the east side.
A Murray Bridge woman has died from her injuries more than a week after she crashed a Mercedes on the South Eastern Freeway.
The 29-year-old had been airlifted to the Flinders Medical Centre after the crash at Monarto South on May 12.
SA Police announced her death on Friday, and repeated a call-out for information about the events leading up to the crash.
Anyone who witnessed the crash, saw the red Mercedes sedan on the road before 7.15am that day, or has dashcam footage taken between Monarto and Murray Bridge at the time, should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestopperssa.com.au.
Police suspected the car had been stolen in Murray Bridge in the hours leading up to the crash.
Teenager killed, another hurt in Dukes Highway collision
Meanwhile, police have also appealed for information about a fatal crash on the Dukes Highway at Ki Ki on Friday night.
A 19-year-old Keith woman died after her car, a ute and a truck collided around 6.45pm.
The ute’s driver, an 18-year-old Murray Bridge man, was taken to hospital in his home town with serious injuries.
The driver of the truck, a 35-year-old Burton man, was not physically hurt.
Police are seeking more information from anyone who may have seen the way in which the Murray Bridge man’s blue 2002 Holden ute, with personalised numberplates, was being driven before the crash; or from anyone who might have dashcam footage of it.
They suggested that the ute, which was travelling towards Adelaide, might have overtaken more than one heavy vehicle in the lead-up to the crash.
Anyone with information can share it, anonymously if need be, by calling 1800 333 000 or visiting www.crimestopperssa.com.au.
SA Police Superintendent Darren Fielke said the young woman’s death – and every death on the road – should have been prevented.
“Every life lost or person injury has far-reaching impacts on families, friends and whole communities … particularly in smaller, regional areas,” he said.
“There are also serious repercussions for surviving drivers, not only from their own injuries or trauma, but they may face criminal charges, loss of licence and/or jail time.
“It is the responsibility of every single one of us to consciously change our driving behaviour to reduce the risk of death or serious injury to ourselves and other road users.”
Murray Bridge East man survives house fire
Finally, a Murray Bridge East man is lucky to be alive after a house fire last Wednesday.
Firefighters responded to reports of an explosion at the two-storey house on Thiele Road just before 9pm.
Investigators would later determine that the fire had started when a spray canister was accidentally allowed to ignite.
The home’s occupant, a 68-year-old man, was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital with non-life-threatening burns.
Anyone with information about the episode should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or at www.crimestopperssa.com.au.
Locals support locals. Your support helps Murray Bridge News tell important local stories.