Crash closes Swanport Bridge, causes traffic chaos
Two people have been injured in a crash on the South Eastern Freeway near Murray Bridge.
A crash on the South Eastern Freeway has caused traffic gridlock on Murray Bridge’s main street on the last day of the school term.
Two cars collided head-on 800 metres east of the Swanport Bridge, between the bridge and the Old Princes Highway intersection, just before 1.40pm on Friday.
The driver of a Holden sedan, an elderly woman, sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries, according to SA Police.
The male driver of a Subaru was taken to the Murray Bridge hospital with minor injuries.
Emergency services closed the freeway after the crash, forcing traffic to detour down Adelaide Road and Bridge Street and across the old Murray Bridge, which is still down to one lane and one way at a time thanks to a $46 million upgrade being carried out.
The freeway was expected to reopen around 3.30pm.
Your support helps Murray Bridge News tell important local stories – subscribe today.
Tom Koutsantonis claimed on ABC radio it would take 6 weeks to dismantle the scaffolding on the Old Murray Bridge & return to two way traffic. He said that he had been told there was no appreciable increase in congestion. Ask again Tom. The crash on the Swanport Bridge and now those on the east side of the river upstream having no ferries & wanting to replenish supplies has meant long queues, some on the Murray Bridge side back almost to 7th Street & on the east side to the speedway access road. The floods are going to be here for many months & ferries out of action. Don't prolong the inconvenience when you can take action and fix a big problem.
Six weeks to remove enough obstruction & barriers to have two way traffic? What rubbish. Sounds like a typical inflated quote to a Government authority.