Pedal prix cancelled due to COVID-19

One of Murray Bridge's biggest annual events will not go ahead in 2020.

Murray Bridge’s Australian International Pedal Prix has been cancelled due to COVID-19.

The event, which draws around 10,000 people to Sturt Reserve each year, had been due to be held in September.

However, the organisers of the Australian Human Powered Vehicle Super Series decided to pull the pin when they met on Wednesday, saying the risk of spreading the coronavirus at such a large gathering was too great.

Another factor was ongoing uncertainty around what restrictions would be needed, whether competitors would be able to come from Victoria, and whether organisers would be able to provide refunds if the event had to be cancelled closer to the date.

Series chairman Andrew McLachlan said the decision had not been taken lightly.

“To say we are disappointed is an understatement,” he said.

“We have worked vigorously to find ways to safely and responsibly hold events in a very difficult time.

“The board has come to this decision with a heavy heart, but it is the right decision, a responsible decision.

“The safety of competitors, teams and our community remains paramount.”

Organisers would now focus their attention on the 2021 series, he said.

Races in Mount Gambier, Adelaide, Loxton and Busselton, Western Australia had already been cancelled.

  • Tell us more: Was your school planning to compete in the pedal prix this year? Tell us how you're feeling in the comments below or by emailing murraybridgenews@gmail.com.

Photo: Australian HPV Super Series/Facebook.