Mannum man arrested for alleged online child abuse

Plus Murray Mallee police pick up two motorists for allegedly driving while under the influence.

Mannum man arrested for alleged online child abuse
A Mannum man will face court after allegedly contain child abuse material on his mobile phone. Photo: Australian Federal Police.

A 70-year-old Mannum man has been arrested after police allegedly found child abuse material located on his phone.

South Australian authorities identified the man while investigating a report from the United States’ National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

A search was conducted on May 27, when police seized a mobile phone for forensic examination.

The man was charged on May 30 with one count of possessing or controlling child abuse material obtained or accessed using a carriage service.

The maximum penalty for the offence is 15 years' imprisonment.

The man was due to appear at the Murray Bridge Magistrates Court on Monday.

Detective Sergeant Jarrod Cook said the Australian Federal Police and local and international law enforcement partners were committed to protecting children.

“Children should not be used as commodities for the gratification of offenders,” Detective Sergeant Cook said.

“We cannot send a clearer message to offenders: if you engage in these horrific activities, you will be found, charged and prosecuted.”

Members of the public who have information about people involved in child abuse are urged to contact the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation.

Want a quick getaway? Don’t take the ferry

Meanwhile, police have arrested a man and woman who attempted to take a stolen car across the Mannum ferry on Tuesday night.

The grey Toyota RAV4 had been reported stolen in Mount Gambier, and was seen running alongside a grey BMW sedan whose driver allegedly stole fuel from a servo at Keith around 4.15pm.

Both cars were spotted travelling west through Tailem Bend at 5.40pm.

Police used the RAV4’s tracking system, then a helicopter, to track it as it turned off the highway at Murray Bridge East and headed towards Mannum, around 7pm.

Once both cars were on the Mannum ferry, police sprang their trap, waiting on the far side to arrest both a 30-year-old Davoren Park man and a 32-year-old Mount Gambier woman.

Both had outstanding warrants for previous offences, and both were denied bail ahead of a court appearance in Murray Bridge.

Two in trouble for driving while under the influence

Finally, Murray Mallee police also detected two other alleged traffic offences on local roads over the weekend:

  • A 32-year-old Murray Bridge man allegedly returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.168, more than three times the legal limit, on the Princes Highway at Meningie in the early hours of Sunday morning; he lost his licence for three months, his vehicle for 28 days and will face court in Murray Bridge
  • A 33-year-old Woodville man allegedly tested positive for methamphetamine while behind the wheel of a heavy vehicle on the Dukes Highway at Elwomple just after midday on Sunday; he lost his licence for three months and may yet face court
💡
Help Murray Bridge News tell our community’s stories by subscribing or booking an advertisement today.