Show's over as Callington cancels 2020 event
There will no longer be any country shows in the Murraylands this year.
There will be no country shows in the Murraylands for the rest of 2020 after a decision by Callington's organisers not to go ahead this year.
The show's committee members met last week and voted not to go ahead with the event this October.
"As we know, the pandemic has changed everything for now, and our decision was made reluctantly, in the interest of public safety," assistant secretary Mandy Toczek McPeake said.
"We cannot know when large gatherings will be restored by the state and federal governments. "Maintaining social distancing during an outdoor event and ensuring contact tracing if an outbreak were to result from holding the show is simply too difficult.
"We are sure the community will understand the decision we have made."
On the bright side, she said the show society was still in a sound financial position.
The delay will also allow the community centre currently being built at Callington Oval to be finished in time for the next show.
Organisers of the Murray Bridge and Coonalpyn shows – scheduled for September and October, respectively – had already pulled the pin on those events.
The Coonalpyn and Districts Agricultural and Horticultural Society announced its decision on April 22, thanking sponsors and community members and hoping both would return in 2021.
The Murray Bridge Show's management committee did the same the following day.
"This difficult decision has not been lightly made, but we believe that it is in the interest of public health and safety, even though it comes with extreme disappointment," they said in a statement posted to Facebook.
"We thank our community for their support over the years and we look forward to presenting a spectacular 2021 show."
The next scheduled show in the region, then, is Mannum's, scheduled for March of next year.
Photo: Callington Show/Facebook.