A revitalisation of the Round House has given Murray Bridge a community museum the equal of any in South Australia.
The Roundhouse was very successfully managed by the Rural City of Murray Bridge - Roundhouse Volunteers for 25 years, as Mayor Lewis stated " had so faithfully maintained the Roundhouse " as a Historic House and told the stories of the beginnings of Murray Bridge from the first superintendent March 1873 - October 1874, Frank Rees George, 2nd superintendent, Henry Parker, October 1874 - March 1879 bridge completion and unofficial opening and all the stories following regarding the 1st School, Post Office, School and Council Chamber before entering it's longest ownership with the SA. Railways right up until the 1080's. The House was lovingly furnished as house/home 1876 to 1918, the year of extensions to the house were made, with the assistance of our Community with loans and donations of many items and over many years tourists from all over the world raved about the house and its volunteers with regular entries in the visitor books. For the History Trust CEO to suggest in his quoted opening remarks that "Prior to this project, the Roundhouse had been furnished with " vintage " items by weii meaning volunteers to create a feel of an historic home..... objects generally not specificly related to the Roundhouse or the people who lived there." shows that he appears to have a complete lack of knowledge its previous history and those words could be seen as very offensive to the Staff, Volunteers and Community that were involved in the Roundhouse management since 1988 when the RCofMB purchased this State Heritage Icon os S.A.'s History, and provided a much complemented tourist attraction and community building. A nice touch that did not happen would have been invitations to those staff and volunteers who were involved in the management of the Roundhouse over the past 30 years.
Thanks Peri getting the story and interest out concerning the Round House as a lot of people do not know it’s there