Fire at Sunnyside destroys two houses

A simple activity - burning the end of a nylon rope to stop it fraying - may have caused the $1 million blaze.

This story has been made free to read under Murray Bridge News’ editorial policy on public safety. Please consider supporting our work by subscribing.

A Sunnyside couple has been left homeless after fire destroyed two houses at the riverside enclave on Saturday.

The Country Fire Service was alerted to the fire on the lower section of Sunnyside Road, on the River Murray, at 8.20am.

About 40 firefighters from eight CFS units raced to the scene, supported by Metropolitan Fire Service personnel and three bulk water carriers.

They were able to keep the fire from spreading to neighbouring properties – no mean feat considering the density of houses and gum trees in the area.

However, the two houses which were already alight were totally destroyed, at an estimated cost of $1 million.

No-one was injured in the fire.

Fire cause investigators were expected to visit the scene over the weekend.

However, an eyewitness told Murray Bridge News the fire had started in a garage where someone had been burning the end of a coil of nylon rope to keep it from fraying.

The rope caught fire and, despite the actions of quick-thinking family members who grabbed a fire extinguisher, it could not be put out.

Residents cleared out gas bottles and hosed down both houses until police cleared them out.


You can help keep local stories like this one free for everyone to read. Subscribe to Murray Bridge News today and support your independent, locally owned news service, plus get access to exclusive stories you won’t find anywhere else, for just $5.50 a month.