Auto collectors club takes the long way to Angaston
Historic stone walls and a pub meal worth the trip highlight the recent club outing.
This post was contributed by Graham Edwards of the Auto Collectors Club of Murray Bridge.
Auto Collectors Club of Murray Bridge (ACCMB) members woke to a rather chilly Sunday morning with the occasional burst of sunshine.
Not to be deterred by this, 29 members and guests met at the JPC clubrooms at 10 am for a 10.30am "blast off."
Run organisers for the day, ACCMB Life Members John & Vicky Courtney, met participants as they arrived, issuing the days run directions, reminding to sign log books, and to sign the attendance / Covid records book for the day.
With all the important stuff out of the way, it was time to belt up and hit the road.
The convoy travelled to Mannum Rd, via Thomas St and Cypress Tce in their mainly classic vehicles all clean and shiny.
On reaching the intersection of Mannum to Adelaide Rd on the outskirts of Mannum, it was a quick right and then left turn into Ridley Rd before proceeding through the quaint little townships of Punthari, Cambrai and onto Sedan.
As the ACCMB convoy of cars turned left onto Angaston Rd, a group of like minded enthusiasts on motor bikes were lined up on the side of the street waving to fellow petrol head lovers.
Now it was off up the winding, hilly road from Sedan to Angaston, passing through and getting glimpses of the Stone Fences along the road towards Keyneton.
These stone walls were not built by farmers and pioneers of the day, but instead were constructed as mortarless pieces of interlocking rocks like pieces of a jigsaw, by contractors allocated by the North Rhine District Council in 1878.
These walls are now on the State Heritage Register.
As the road continued to wind its way through the picturesque countryside, the group passed through the historic township of Keyneton with its massive gum trees and sweeping landscape.
This township was founded in 1842 and was named after the English pastoralist Joseph Keynes.
Prior to arriving at Angaston, the convoy passed by the immaculately groomed McEvoy Mitchell Racing facility a fewkilometers out of Angaston.
On arriving at the Brauhaus Hotel Angaston, members parked their vehicles and made their way into the historic 1849 building, originally a blacksmiths shop and later granted a licence and named the New Inn.
Times have changed since the New Inn, with many new names, but in 1979 the name Brauhaus Hotel was born, and that name has stood the test of time.
With all ACCMB members and guests seated a two course pub meal was served.
Truly a meal worth driving the long way around to get to Angaston for.
Following the meal and the enjoyment of one another's company, run organiser John Courtney brought some of the staff into the dining room to say thanks for their service during lunch.
This was followed by Life Member Tom West thanking the Courtney's on behalf of all those present for yet another successful club outing.
You can help keep local stories like this one free for everyone to read. Subscribe to Murray Bridge News today and support your independent, locally owned news service, plus get access to exclusive stories you won’t find anywhere else, for just $5.50 a month.